Tuesday, December 23, 2008

FREE TURKEY

We have had a wonderful year, looking for another wonderful year in 2009. The other day started less than wonderful, when I had to pick up my car from the repair shop and then go to the laundrymat because my washer is broke.
On the way to do the laundry I bought a turkey. I have been craving a turkey dinner, and even though it will only be husband Mark, and me for Christmas....I decided to cook a turkey anyway. So, I picked up my turkey and drove an hour to town to get my laundry done. I was in a less than perfect mood...........after all, who really wants to drive an hour and then sit at a laundry !
Some time later, as I sat folding all of our stuff, I started to reflect on our year. Folding clothes provides an excellent time to think, even if you do not want to. I decided to stop feeling sorry for myself , (not an easy task since my washing machine is a big deal, one of the few modern things I allow myself) and I started to reflect on my year. We are healthy, children are healthy, grandbabies all well, bills paid, animals well, 2 freezers full of food, root cellar full of food, parents still alive, live in a beautiful mountain setting, etc, etc, etc,.....the good thoughts kept coming till I was truly grateful for my life. All of a sudden, a broken washer was not so important.
I felt so grateful to God, with my whole heart and soul...I just HAD to give an offering. What do you give the God who has everything ?
Then it came to me..I will give away my turkey. But to whom will I give it ? I started asking around, wondering who would REALLY need this turkey.
My 10 pound turkey went to a single mom with multiple problems. I was glad to see the turkey go.
THANK YOU LORD FOR MY GOOD BLESSINGS

ENTER 2 DAYS LATER
I was minding my own business in my home in the middle of a snowstorm. Rocky mountain snowstorms give a great opportunity to work on a quilt. With my quilt in my lap, I fell asleep for How long I do not know. The dog awakended me, then there was a knock on the door...right here in the middle of the storm. Mark was tending to some cattle, so I answered the door myself. I was terrified to see sherrif Mike standing there. My first thought was that something happened to someone I love. He quickly calmed me and told me he had a gift for us.
Now it should be known at this time, that we have NEVER received a gift from the county. AND there would be no reason to expect one.
To my surprise he carried in a box with potatoes, beans, pie, AND A 21 POUND TURKEY.
My surprise was so great, I barely remembered to say thank you !
I did thank God. You cannot out-give God. I gave away a 10 pound turkey but received so much more !
I am going to savor every tasty mouthful of my turkey on Christmas day !

here is a dessert, I made to go with our turkey

CHERRY CHEESE DESSERT

2 &1/4 C graham cracker crumbs
3/4 C melted butter
1/2 C brown sugar
dash salt

press this into a 9 X 13 pan and bake 350 for 5 minutes

1 envelope dream whip ( whipped according to package directions)
3/4 C powdered sugar
8 ounce package cream cheese

mix these together and spread on cooled graham crust, then top with..

2 cans cherry pie filling, that has been mixed with
1 teaspoon of almond extract

CHILL SEVERAL HOURS
this is one of my favorite desserts.

MAY GOD BLESS ALL WHO READ THIS, WE WISH YOU ALL A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A VERY BLESSED NEW YEAR, from the Shoestring ranch...Happy Hollidays

No comments: