Sunday, December 21, 2008

WALKING THE CATS

It is a sunny snowy day in these mountains. I take walks to try and keep fit. It is a good thing that my driveway is almost a quarter of a mile, or I would not get a walk at all....You See...my four cats have taken to following me on my walks. I cannot go too far, because the coyotes are numerous this winter, and they love to eat cats. SO, I just go up and down the drive and walk through a few pastures with my four little loves, K.C., Patches, George, and Sweet Tart. ( the grand daughters named her )
I was in a health food store once, buying supplements and the salesman (who has a wife that owns a gym) would not stop hammering away at me about my lack of a exercise. I tried to tell him we own a ranch and I get lots of exercise. He informed me (not in a nice way) that ranch work is not real exercise. I was angry and left without buying anything.
It is my opinion that THIS MAN has never had real exercise. I bet he has never in his life had the exercise that is part of my life.., toted a 5-gallon bucket of water, split wood, saddle broke a colt, been on a horse for hours moving cattle, hand shoveled snow, carried laundry baskets to the clothesline, forked hay to the sheep, took on a masonry job, planted and harvested a garden, fought with a crazy rooster, helped someone stack 200 bales of hay, chased escapee calves back into their own pasture, cleaned out a stock trailer, painted the house, or did any mountain hiking, just to name a few of the "exercises" in MY life. And...I bet he never walked the cats.

CHEESY BEEF ROLLS
(here is a good inexpensive main dish)

3 pounds hamburger
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup saltine crumbs
2 eggs
4 tablespoons B B Q sauce
mix all these together and (on a piece of wax paper) make a rectangle of beef about 11 X 16 inches.....to this rectangle, sprinkle on ;
2 cups of your favorite cheese
2 chopped green peppers
1/2 cup bread crumbs
Then roll the beef up jelly roll style and chill several hours
After the roll has chilled, cut it into 8 or 9 equal pieces and bake the rolls about 30 minutes (350) oven, or till the meat is no longer pink.

TIP;..If the peppers are out of your budget, wait till they are on sale and buy as many as you can....they freeze well, you do not even have to cut them, freeze them whole if you like. The peppers will be a little mushy when you thaw them, so they will not be good in salads, but they work well in the above recipe, or anything else you need cooked peppers for.

WATCH THE PENNIES AND THE DOLLARS WILL TAKE CARE OF THEMSELVES