Wednesday, November 5, 2008

ROCKY MOUNTAIN HI

Woke up this morning about 5am. Coffee was calling. I decided to take the coffee pot outside to the propane burner.
We boil our coffee the old fashioned way, we do not own an electric coffee maker. So..grabbing the pot and the matches, slipping into my outdoor shoes, I stepped outside into the darkness , only to be surprised by the snow. The weather report said we might have some snow, but I did not believe it then.
It is always a delightful surprise for me, the first snow of the season. I get as excited as a child, as I again experience the wonder of the snow, the Lord's wintertime creation.
I contained my excitement long enough to place the old blue enamel pot on the burner, turn on the gas, and light a match. The flames quickly evaporated the snow on the burner and began to warm the old pot. Damp and chilly, I hurried back inside to the warmth of the bed. November nights in the rocky mountains (at 8,000 feet) are cold, and we heat only with wood.
My husband, Mark, was getting out of bed then, and made his way to the kitchen wood cookstove where he built a fire. On these cooler mornings he spoils me. After the coffee boils, he serves it to me while I am still in bed. I enjoy the hot coffee and a relaxing and warm bed while he tends the fires and gets the chill off of the house. WHAT A GUY!!!!!!!!
The snow on the higher peaks is amazing this morning. Breakfast is a quiet affair, at the table in front of the wood cookstove, and the cozy feeling I get this morning will last all day for sure.
Mark needs to move some cattle today but is not taking our cattle dog, Rocky ,with him today. Our poor boy got kicked by a steer yesterday and will take the day off to recover. Nothing is broken, but his one hip is very sore, badly bruised.
I go about my day, bringing in wood in between regular household chores and sewing projects. Rocky is my constant companion today. I do not want him outside today, he needs to heal. The vet said I could give him an aspirin. I crush a pill, and conceal it in some corned beef hash , which he ate without complaining. He is resting now, I can tell the aspirin is working because he is sleeping quite soundly.
It has been a lovely quiet day at home, except for 2 hunters who ignored our "no tresspassing " sign. They had a good reason, they found a kitten that they thought maybe was mine. The little calico kitten was not ours, and I cannot imagine how she got here in the middle of no particular place. She must have been dumped. I accept the kitten from the men and, introducing her to the rest of our feline brood, I accept the fact that we now have another member of our family.
Mark will be back at the house soon, I will now go feed horses and sheep. I think I will give them extra feed tonight, it is going to be a cold night, and the extra hay will keep them warm.
I have never lived on Park Avenue, and I never will because I am sure it is not this good.